SWEET POTATO BROWNIES
Tuna poke nachos with @cookwithdanaa
Makes: 9 brownies
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 1 ¼ hours + 45 minutes cooling time
Total time: 1 ¼ hours
Recipe Note: Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegetarian
- Make it Nut Free: use sunflower seed butter
- Process ⅔ cup old-fashioned rolled oats in a food processor until a fine meal is formed. If needed, make sure the oats are certified gluten-free.
1 medium sweet potato, quartered
⅔ cup pure maple syrup
½ cup creamy natural nut butter of choice
3 tablespoons Sir Kensington’s Classic Mayonnaise
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
⅔ cup oat flour (see notes)
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ cup chopped raw pecans (optional)
¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional), dairy free if needed
- Heat oven to 375ºF with rack set in middle position.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and arrange sweet potato, cut side down and roast until fork-tender, 35–40 minutes.
- Remove sheet from oven, and wrap foil up and over sweet potatoes; let steam 5 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF and line an 8×8-inch baking pan with foil, leaving a 2-inch overhang.
- Meanwhile, whisk together maple syrup, nut butter, mayonnaise, and vanilla in a large bowl. Add cocoa powder and whisk until smooth and shiny, about 30 seconds.
- Peel skins from sweet potatoes and transfer flesh to a medium bowl; mash until smooth. Add 1 cup sweet potato purée, oat flour, salt, and baking powder to bowl with nut butter mixture and mix to combine. (Reserve leftover sweet potato puree for another use.)
- Spread batter into an even layer in prepared pan. Sprinkle pecans and chocolate chips over top, if using. Bake brownies until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean with a few crumbs, 30–32 minutes.
- Transfer pan to a wire rack and let brownies cool completely in pan, 45–60 minutes. Using the foil edges, lift brownies out of pan and cut into 9 squares.