Makes: 4-6 servings
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Recipe note: Vegetarian Friendly, Dairy Free. Make this recipe Gluten Free by using rice pasta instead of regular and rice flour instead of all purpose flour.
1 1/4 cup raw cashews
16 ounces uncooked pasta
3 cups water
2 cloves garlic
4-6 chipotles in adobo (4 for mild, 6 for spicy)
1/4 cup Sir Kensington’s Chipotle Mayo
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup dairy free butter
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 tablespoon cornstarch or tapioca starch
Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the raw cashews to a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let soak for 30 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, drain and rinse the cashews and add to a blender.
- Add in the water and blend until completely smooth, about 1 full minute.
- Add in all remaining ingredients except chives, and blend again until smooth.
- Transfer to a pot and heat over medium/low heat, whisking occasionally.
- Let simmer for about 5-10 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.
- When the pasta is done cooking, drain off the water and add the pasta to the pot with the cheese sauce.
- Stir to combine.
- Top with chopped chives, salt and pepper.
- Optional: Transfer to an oven safe dish, sprinkle breadcrumbs on top and bake, uncovered for 15 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit or until the top is golden brown.